What is included? FREE fast shipping for eligible purchases, streaming of movies, TV shows and music, exclusive shopping deals and selection, unlimited reading, and more.
How can we get all the heath benefits of bioflavonoids?
Sure you have heard that drinking a glass of red wine or a cup of green tea is beneficial for your health. This is because they contain certain pigments, called bioflavonoids, which are great antioxidants.
They are water-soluble pigments that provide purple, blue and green color to fruits and vegetables.
Orange, yellow and red colors are provided by a different group of plant pigments called carotenoids.
These antioxidant vitamins were discovered in 1930 by Hungarian doctor Albert Szent-Gyorgy (Nobel prize ) who called them "vitamin P".
They were discovered first in the white part of citrus fruits. There is a higher concentration of these pigments in the flesh than in the juice. There are more than 4000 different types.
The most popular are :
1. Quercetin, we can find them in citrus fruits, apples, red wine
2. Isoflavonoids, we can find them in soya foods.
3. Epicatechin, found in cocoa
4. Grape seed extract
5. Proanthocyanidins, found in red wine and grape seeds among others
6. Polyphenols, found in green tea
These antioxidants improve the absorption of vitamin c protecting it from oxidation.
Ideally they should be taken together.
As you suspect these antioxidants have great benefits for our health:
Help with inflammatory and allergic conditions such as:
Some of the foods we can find them are:
All antioxidants can help to protect not only our health but the skin, too.
Here you will find few reasons why you should incorporate them to your daily diet.
1. They work better in company of vitamin C, and together protect bio-molecules in the dermis such as collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid.
2. Due to their antioxidant power, protect our skin from free radical damage, improving cellular activity.
3. Help to synthesize collagen and elastin fibbers, which give the skin elasticity and firmness.
4. They also help to reduce the damage caused by uv rays.
More skincare companies are incorporating antioxidants to their products, but in order to be effective, the concentration have to be high enough to see an improvement in the skin's appearance.
If you want a moisturizer containing lemon bioflavonoids besides antioxidant vitamins check Elaine Gregg Sage & Citrus Moisturizer.