Winter skin care tips are essential to protect the skin from the external aggression that are usual in the colder months. In this season is typical to get dry skin and other skin conditions that worsen with cold weather. External factors that could affect the way the skin looks and behaves are cold, wind, humidity, excessive heat, hot air (from air conditioning, heat, etc) as well as sudden changes in temperature.
There are different types of skin and they react in different ways to external factors, that's why is so important to know your skin type and its characteristics, so you can give your skin the specific care it needs. For instance, normal and oily skin can take winter conditions, such as cold weather and wind, better than dry or sensitive skin.
To keep the skin feeling and looking good in the colder months here you have some beauty tips for winter.
1. Even in winter you need to protect the skin from sunlight, don’t be fooled into thinking that because is cold or cloudy the sun won’t have an effect on the skin. Wear sunscreen every day with SPF on the face and on neck to prevent wrinkles.
2. Sudden changes of temperature like getting in and out of places will have a negative effect on the skin, especially dry and sensitive skin.
3. There are certain winter skin conditions such as psoriasis and dermatitis that worsen with cold weather and they should be under a dermatologist supervision.
4. If your skin is sensitive or you have dry skin caused by winter is a good idea to use a humidifier at home. Heat can have a negative effect on the skin. I love InnoGear®Portable Ultrasonic Cool Mist Aroma Humidifier With Color LED Lights.
Alternatively you can place a wet towel over the radiator or a bowl with cold water in the room.
5. Hot air dehydrates the skin, so stay away from heat with hot air and air conditioning.
6. Drink plenty of water to hydrate the skin inside out.
7. Take the necessary vitamins and minerals to fight off colds and improve the skin's appearance from a healthy diet.
8. Use a lip balm such as La Lune Naturals USDA Certified Organic to prevent dry and cracked lips.
9. Don't neglect the hands. The skin on the hands get really dry with cold weather. Use a moisturizing hand cream daily and once a week use a scrub. Find out more about hand care.
10. Use a nutritive skin care product at night, specific to your skin type. Skin care products containing rosehip oil, calendula oil, Shea butter, jojoba oil, vitamin F and vitamin E are a must in winter. Try Majestic Pure Jojoba Oil for Hair and Skin to keep the skin well protected in winter.
There are certain skin conditions that can appear or worsen with cold weather. If you are suffering from any of the following skin conditions you should consult a dermatologist who will be able to give you the adequate treatment.
1. Atopic dermatitis - This skin condition appear most in children. The symptoms are dry and inflamed skin with an intense itch. Children appear nervous and could suffer sleeping alterations.
Taking care of your child's skin in winter is very important. Always consult with a dermatologist.
2. Chilblains - Is an inflammation of the skin due to cold weather and blood circulation problems. They are common in children, but can appear at any age. Chilblains usually appear in hands and feet.
3. Reynaud disease - Cold weather and poor circulation causes paleness and coldness in the extremities.
4. Hives - Through exposition to cold weather some people develop blisters that causes constant itch. People suffering from hives should avoid taking cold showers. This skin disease can be treated with antihistamines.
Cold weather leaves the skin dry and dehydrated. Use some of these winter skin care home remedies to relieve dry skin and keep your skin in top condition.
1 - For cracked or dry lips mix one spoon of honey with few drops of lavender water. Apply over the lips for about 10 minutes and rinse off with a cotton.
2 - For the same problem mix cocoa oil with a teaspoon of melted cocoa butter and one teaspoon of pumpkin oil. Apply over the lips for twenty minutes or leave it overnight for an intense lip treatment.
3 - Make a mask with natural yogurt and strawberries. Leave it on for around 10-15 minutes and clear with water.
4 - Mash an avocado and mix it with 1 tbs olive oil. Apply over dry skin and leave it on up to 30 minutes. Wash using lukewarm water.
5 - If your hands are dry rub them with few drops of almond oil.
6 - Make a facial mask with four spoons of cream, one egg yolk and few drops of lemon juice. Mix well and apply over the skin for as long as you feel comfortable. Remove with water.
7 - Make a carrot juice and add an egg. Mix well and apply over dry skin. Leave it on for twenty minutes and rinse off with warm water.
8 - Mix few spoons of natural yogurt with one spoon of milk. Apply over dry areas, leave it for 15 or 20 minutes before removing it with a cloth and warm water.
Top articles to keep the skin looking amazing: