The benefits and uses of malic acid for health and skin are many, as you soon will discover.
This alpha hydroxy is used in skin care to help diminish fine lines and wrinkles, to tighten pores, to minimize skin pigmentation, to moisturize the skin, to exfoliate the skin and get rid of old cells, and in general, to improve the skin's texture and appearance, leaving it softer and smoother.
Find more uses below.
Typically, malic acid is an organic compound. It comprises of 2 stereoisomeric forms namely the two forms of the Enantiomers. However, only the L-isomer is found in its natural form.
This is a substance that is generated by all living beings, and is generally found in fruits such as apples and various drinks where it contributes to their sour taste. This acid can be found as well in tomatoes, pineapples, peaches, raspberries, cranberries and cherries among others.
The Malic acid is an extremely versatile, and its uses range from being incorporated into cosmetic products to being used for filling the cavities in the teeth and also as a cleaning agent in dentistry, before cavities are filled.
1. It is believed that the acid eliminates any remnants of food particles thereby leaving behind a thoroughly clean tooth.
2. Moreover, this acid is included in a variety of foods and sweets to give it the sour taste.
3. It is also utilized to retain or increase the flavor in foods to help them retain the original flavors that are often lost during processing.
4. In the medical field, malic acid is utilized as a pain reliever and has been endorsed by the Food and Drug Administration as such.
5. As per the Journal of Nutritional medicine, people suffering from fibromyalgia and the chronic fatigue syndrome, have often been advised to consume foods that have a high level of malic acid, as it is said to reduce pain and soreness in the muscles.
6. One of malic acid benefits is that it helps increase energy levels, especially among the patients suffering from the ailments mentioned above. Though the acid can also be considered an anti-inflammatory agent, the FDA has not yet approved of this feature.
7. Another malic acid skin care use is that many cosmetic manufacturers include it in their products for its ability to function like a pH balancing agent. It is also used in conjunction with other ingredients to brighten and rejuvenate the skin.
This organic triple AHA cream from Apothecary will do just that. It contains antioxidants plus citric, lactic, glycolic, tartaric and malic acids to provide radiant, younger and healthier skin.
9. It is said that this acid has the same properties as glycolic acid but produces less irritation in the skin.
I'm a big fan of resurfacing pads because they are easy to use. A quick way to get rid of dead cells and brighten your complexion.
A good choice is Micro Peel Resurfacing Pads from Derm Exclusive with malic, glycolic and salicylic acids. You get 3 packs of 15 pads each at an affordable price.
Though malic acid benefits are many, it is not without adverse effects.
Some of the milder side effects of utilizing malic acid are pain in the chest, burning sensation and itching, swelling and irritation of the skin, queasiness, difficulty in bowel movements, lack of sensation, etc. at the place where the substance has been applied.
The more severe side effects include allergic responses to the medication, tightness in the chest, breathing problems, tightening in the throat, hives, and swollen lips, tongue and throat.
By and large, all these side effects whether mild or severe are quite rare and suffered by very few people who use the substance.
Some points to bear in mind when starting treatment with this medication are that the patient would have to consult the doctor if he/she is taking antacids that have magnesium as one of its ingredients.
In addition pregnant or nursing women must talk to their doctors before using any medication with malic acid as it is not clear whether the substance can affect the fetus or the baby.
Apples are a great source of malic acid and great to elaborate your own homemade recipes for the skin & hair. Find below 5 masks with apples that are simple to make.
1. Grated apple + 2 spoons honey = Moisturizing
2. Grated apple + 1 spoon yogurt + 1 spoon honey + few drops lemon juice = Close open pores
3. Grated apple + 1 grated carrot + 2 spoons milk = Wrinkles
4. Blend 1 apple + 5 red grapes + 5 spoons aloe vera = Smooth skin
5. Apple pure + 1 egg yolk + 1 spoon castor oil + 2 spoons hair conditioner = Hair growth & shine
Leave on the skin or hair from 15 to 30 minutes. Remove using warm water and apply your usual moisturizer. For the hair mask leave for 30 minutes and wrap the hair in a plastic hat or foil paper. Wash it as usual.
You can also make your own DIY skin care recipes with malic acid powder. Try Hoosier Hill Farm Food Grade. You can add it to smoothies and water & is excellent for liver and gall bladder cleansing.
Other top skin care ingredients found in cosmetics: