Is salicylic acid good for the skin and can this beta-hydroxy help us with the healing of skin problems such as acne, fine lines, wrinkles and scars? Originally discovered from the willow tree bark, or synthesized chemically, salicylic acid resembles a crystalline white powder, and has been used over the generations from 400 BCE to treat diverse skin conditions, fevers, pains and skin care.
It has long been known not only for its highly successful invasion as an ingredient in acne treatment formulations, but also for its effective roll in alleviating and eradicating the incidences of eczema, psoriasis, warts and calluses. Many anti-dandruff products as well, use salicylic acid in their formula.
The service rendered by salicylic acid in skin care is unmatchable, for it has the dual effect of causing the damaged skin cells to shed, while promoting the growth of new cells.
1. It has this great property of maintaining the skin pores so clean, that they cannot clog and encourage the manifestation of acne, black spots, white spots, abrasions and cysts.
2. Many topical skin products use salicylic acid in them, for its ability to speed up the exfoliation of the skin, and simultaneously, break down all forms of acne.
3. It also reacts with a protein found in the epidermis of the skin, called keratin, and eradicates those dry skin patches.
4. The large sized molecular anatomy of salicylic acid allows the molecules to remain long enough on the skin, until the pores are fully open. Furthermore, salicylic acid being a mild application, people with soft and sensitive skin can use it without fear, and many use it even for therapeutic purposes.
5. Is it good for acne? For acne treatment, salicylic acid formulations come as creams, gels, pads and cleansers, and are recommended to be applied on the concerned skin area, once a day.
It is also not good to use a second formulation of salicylic acid when you are already using one. Only low concentration of this beta hydroxy acid is sufficient to penetrate most of the skin pores, break down dead skin, and remove the dead skin, debris and the dirt from inside.
The discovery of salicylic acid as an excellent chemical skin peeling agent by dermatologists, in recent times, has catapulted the brand value manifold, and raised its status as an anti-aging product, ideal for the treatment of aging skin, especially wrinkles.
The principle is that the beta hydroxy nature of this acid enables it to permeate the skin pores and exfoliates the skin, allowing the existing top layer of the skin to pave the way for the growth of new firmer and smoother skin, thus rejuvenating your youth.
A blend of salicylic acid and hydroquinone in medium proportions is said to be a good recipe for lightening the skin as well as removal of scars.
These peels are always made in the lab, under controlled conditions, and are much less irritating, and more effective than other skin peels made from glycolic and lactic acids. If you are in need of a good peel try Perfect Image Salicylic Acid 20% Gel Peel. Incorporating green tea extract and tea tree oil it will help with acne, enlarged pores, pigmentation, blackheads, sun damage and aged skin.
Though normally, salicylic acid is not known to have any major side effects, it would be prudent to ensure through your doctor or dermatologist, whether you are allergic to any of the products, you propose to use.
Some of the side effects include dry skin, peeling, redness and/or stinging sensation but much will depend on the strength of the product used. This can be reversed immediately by reducing the salicylic acid content. Another important factor to consider is that those using topical salicylic acid will have to use sunscreen to protect the skin from possible sunburn.
Note - Please make sure to follow the recommendations on the packet when using skin care products containing any kind of acid. Also make sure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients listed or have sensitive skin. Always test the product in a very small area of the skin like inside the wrist or below the chin and wait to see if the skin have any adverse reaction. In case of doubt consult a dermatologist.
Discover more ingredients to boost the skin: